If you are coming or staying in Dalat, do not pass by this selected list of the top 25 things to do in Dalat, Vietnam. Located in the Central Highlands to the South of the country, Dalat is covered with natural landscapes and retains its comfortable weather all year round. As a result, this City has become one of the most popular tourist destinations favored by Vietnamese and foreigners.
Trekking to Lang Biang peak
If you are an adventurous one, you will not want to miss this activity. Lang Biang is the highest mountain of Lâm Đồng Province, where you can enjoy a panoramic Dalat view from above.
You will spend 4 to 6 hours trekking to the peak, a good chance to disconnect from buzzing life and reconnect to nature. The activity requires proper health conditions but is not an arduous trip to try. A standard trip usually includes trekking activities and one-night camping. Imagine standing on the top of a province, looking down below and admiring the breathtaking view, and the following day, waking up on a hill, waiting for the Sun to rise with a cup of hot coffee in your hand. Such a great feeling and a memorable experience.
To ensure safety, you should book the trip beforehand with an agent or a professional group. They will take care of the pick-up car, food, water, necessary medical supplies, etc. Here are some suggestions:
Explore Tuyền Lâm Lake
Tuyền Lâm Lake, 6 kilometers to the South of Da Lat City, is the largest freshwater lake here, an attractive destination to every tourist. The Lake is covered with majestic palm tree forests and has a serene water surface that can take you hours to admire. Tourists can spend a day enjoying the fresh air, practicing Zen, chilling out by the Lake, and watching the sunset. If you are a sports head, you would love to experience hiking, paddling, or kayaking to fully discover the Lake’s beauty.
If you want a full-package service, you can book a tour at the agents or professional groups. The kayak tour usually includes pick-up transportation, a safety vest, tour guide, meals, camping, and farm visiting for a whole day, which costs you around 1.000.000 VND/person (~$45). The Lake is open 24/7 for free entrance, sightseeing, and photo-taking if you want to visit individually. You can pick up your favorite activities to experience, with prices starting from 150,000/person/slot (~$6.5). You are suggested to watch the sunrise from 5 AM-9 AM and have a sunset view around 2:30 PM-5:30 PM for the best experience. Follow the guidance to get there.
Visit Trúc Lâm Monastery
Located on Phượng Hoàng Hill, far away from the center, Trúc Lâm Monastery welcomes visitors with excellent view and soothing ambiance. Along the road leading to the entrance, you can see the giant bell tower appear from the pine forest. Passing 222 steps through the gate, you will enter the central courtyard. There is a statue of Gautama Buddha seated on a lotus in the central hall, where Buddhists come to worship. From Trúc Lâm Monastery, you can enjoy the dreamy sight of Tuyền Lâm Lake, temporarily leave the noise behind and reconnect to your inner calm. This is one of the most popular things to do in Dalat, Vietnam. Experience yourself at:
Address: Trần Thánh Tông Street, Ward 3, Da Lat City. (Get there)
Opening hour: 5 AM – 9 PM
Aerial tramway ticket fee:
- For adults: 100.000 VND/2-way ticket ($4.40) and 80,000 VND/one-way ticket ($3.50)
- For children: 70,000 VND/2-way ticket ($3.00) and 60,000 VND/one-way ticket ($2.50)
Visit The Clay Tunnel
The Clay Tunnel, also known as Dalat Sculpture Museum, officially opened for tourism at the end of 2014.
The initial idea belonged to the owner – Mr. Trinh Ba Dung, a businessman from Hồ Chí Minh City. He started with two houses, built with basalt clay and unique admixture, which helped the clay get hard without being baked under high temperatures. The experiment became a success; then he continued to build a 2-kilometer long tunnel with the same technique, combined with other impressive scenery like animals, mountains, forests, etc. The Tunnel promptly attracted attention from locals and tourists, then quickly became one of the most famous spots to visit.
Address: Ward 4, Da Lat City (Get there)
- For adults: 60,000 VND/ticket ($2.50)
- For children: 40,000 VND/ticket ($1.70)
Opening hour: 7:30AM – 5PM
Wandering Dalat Night Market
Street performance at Dalat Night Market. Photo by some.pictures.of.mineInstagram page
Visiting the night market is a highly recommended thing to do in Dalat, Vietnam. Setting up right in the heart of the center, Dalat Night Market provides endless local food stalls, clothing stores, souvenir shops, and street performances. You will be overwhelmed by the exciting atmosphere out there, especially at weekends. Feel free to stop by any shop you are attracted to, have delicious food, buy anything you like, and enjoy your interesting night out.
The Night Market is located just outside Dalat Central Market on Nguyễn Thị Minh Khai Street, near Xuân Hương Lake. Find your way there on the map. It usually opens from 5 PM – 10 PM every day.
Lâm Viên Square
Lâm Viên Square (Dalat Square) is a massive construction located near Xuân Hương Lake. With a total area of 72 thousand square meters, the square attracts a huge number of visitors, especially at night. The features of Lâm Viên Square are two brilliant buildings built as a giant wildflower and a giant classy artichoke flower. These two spots are the favorite sights for tourists to stop by and take photos.
From the evening onward, there are plenty of street food vendors and exciting activities to experience. Likewise, it is also fun to find yourself a seat, admire Xuân Hương lake, and enjoy Dalat by night.
- Address: Trần Quốc Toản Street, Ward 1, Da Lat City (Get there)
- Open space for free visiting
Walk to Datanla Waterfall
Datanla is a waterfall located 10 kilometers away from Da Lat City, beside the 20th National Highway. Datanla Waterfall owns itself a silent beauty with clear water and slow streaming flow. Check the location on Google Maps to get there.
This place is a suitable destination for those who would love to experience adventurous activities:
The course is approximately 1 kilometer long down the waterfall. It is both an attraction and a means of transportation.
- For adults: 80,000 VND/2-way ticket ($3.50), 60,000 VND/1-way ticket ($2.50)
- For children: 40,000 VND/2-way ticket (~$2.00), 30,000 VND/1-way ticket ($1.50)
High Rope Course
The most popular game to do at Datanla Waterfall, favored by both adults and children. The levels are also separated for beginners and professionals.
- 250,000 VND/person/round (~$11.00)
This is a challenging activity. You will be tested to make sure you have enough skill set and health conditions to join. This is an excellent chance to put yourself out with nature, get wild and fully experience the fun.
- ~1.600.000 VND/person/tour (~$71.00)
- There are still more activities for you to pick up, from easy ones to challenging ones.
- Entrance fee:
- For adults: 30,000 VND/ticket ($1.50)
- For children: 15,000 VND/ticket ($0.5)
- Opening hour: 7:30 AM – 5 PM
Dalat ZooDoo Zoo
According to the owner, Dalat ZooDoo is a member of the World Zoodoo Association. Being established 32km away from the center, Dalat ZooDoo aims to create a safe, natural habitat for animals and an open, friendly space for tourists to interact with the animals.
This place is a complex model, including a zoo, camping site, café, and food services, which can offer complete demands for an individual, group of friends, or a family. Visit Dalat ZooDoo Zoo is a strongly suggested activity to do in Dalat for families with kids. Save your date to visit at:
- Address: 27C National Highway, Đạ Nhim, Lạc Dương District (Get there)
- Ticket fee:
- 100,000 VND/ticket for adults ($4.40)
- 50,000 VND/ticket for children from 1 meter to 1.2 meters ($2.20)
- Free entrance for children under 90 centimeters
- Visit schedule:
- 9AM – 10AM – 11AM – 1PM – 2PM – 3PM – 4PM
- *** You can check and book your slots via phone number 0997 111 199
Visit Bảo Đại’s palaces
Bảo Đại is the last emperor who put an end to the Vietnamese monarchy. However, the emperor was known to build plenty of palaces along with the country; the most famous ones are in Dalat City. Being attracted by Dalat’s beauty and weather, Bảo Đại set up three different palaces for separate purposes. The palaces are not only the places preserving historical memories but also impressive attractions with remarkable architecture.
About three palaces:
The Palace I
- Address: No.01 Trần Quang Diệu Street, Ward 10, Da Lat City (Get there)
- Entrance fee:
- Full-package ticket, including entrance fee, sightseeing, photo-taking, costume renting, horse riding, golfing, etc: ~150,000 VND/person ($6.61)
- For sightseeing and photo-taking only: adults 40,000 VND/ticket ($1.76), children 20,000 VND/ticket ($0.88)
The Palace II
- Address: No.12 Tran Hung Dao Street, Ward 10, Da Lat City (Get there)
- Entrance fee: 30,000 VND/ticket ($1.32)
The Summer Palace (III)
- Address: No.01 Trieu Viet Vuong street, Ward 4, Da Lat City (Get there)
- Entrance fee:
- For adults: 15,000 VND/ticket ($0.66). For children: 10,000 VND/ticket ($0.44)
- Outfits renting cost ~20,000 VND/set ($0.88)
Domaine de Marie church
Domaine de Marie church was established in 1944, a superb combination of Western architecture and Vietnamese folk art.
The church is located at the top of a hill, 2 kilometers away from Dalat central market. Domaine de Maries is covered with beautiful gardens and coated with elegant pink colors, which makes it stand out from other churches in Dalat City. This historical spot is among the greatest Catholic convents in Dalat, not only a place for people to pray but also a site for charity events, a school for local children. Have your visit at:
- Address: No.1 Ngô Quyền Street, Ward 6, Da Lat City (Get there)
- Free entrance
- For mass schedule:
- 7:15 AM on weekdays
- 6 AM on weekends
The valley of Love
Silently settling on the rolling hills, 6km far away from Dalat’s center, the valley is covered by endless pine forests, gifted with magnificent greenery and a pellucid lake. You might fall in love with this place at first sight. Besides the original scenery, the local government, through the years, has developed additional activities for tourists to experience such as swan boat pedaling, horse riding, canoeing. You shall want to spend at least half a day at The valley of Love to fully appreciate the attraction. Enjoy your tour at:
- Address: No.3-5-7 Mai Anh Đào Street, Ward 8, Da Lat city (Get there)
- Opening hour: 7 AM – 5 PM
- Entrance fee (for sightseeing, photo-taking, other activities, and lunch):
- 250,000 VND/ticket for adults ($11.00)
- 110,000 VND/ticket for children (those who are under 1.2 meters) ($4.85)
*** For more information about ticket fees, feel free to ask the staff at the ticket booth.
Enjoy Xuân Hương Lake
Xuân Hương Lake is a man-made landmark in Da Lat City. Located in the center, Xuân Hương Lake is a gem you cannot miss while wandering the City.
The Lake is surrounded by gardens with beautiful flowers and big trees. Along the bank, there are plenty of street food stalls and coffee shops for you to stop by, have a drink and enjoy the Lake’s peaceful atmosphere. Otherwise, you might love to go on a tour around Xuân Hương Lake on foot, a motorbike, cycle, or horse riding, which is a popular thing to do in Dalat. From February to April, this is a perfect time to visit the Lake, with stunning apricot cherry blossoms fully blooming along the Lake’s bank, creating a splendid landscape. Find your way to the Lake here.
Linh Phước Pagoda (Ve Chai Pagoda)
Renovated in 1990, Linh Phước Pagoda has been famous for its unique decoration, covered with cobblestone mosaics. Every corner in the Pagoda was decorated with hundred pieces of glass, stone, tile, etc, creating a huge work of art. This place also features the highest bell tower in Vietnam. You will be overwhelmed by the details and effort they put into this structure. Linh Phước Pagoda is not only a place for worship but also a popular tourist attraction.
- Address: 120 Tự Phước Street, Trại Mát Village, Ward 11, Da Lat City (20 kilometers away from the center) (Get there)
- Opening hour: 8 AM- 5 PM
- Free entrance
Dalat XQ embroidery village
Embroidery is a historical Vietnamese art culture. Dalat XQ embroidery village was built with a vision to spread out this national artistry.
Visiting XQ village, you will appreciate the hand-embroidered skill of the artists, with the finest artworks displayed. On the other hand, the calming ambiance and gorgeous concept art of the place shall bring you back to the legendary old time. This place is also near The valley of Love, so you can consider blocking a day for these two attractions. Come to Dalat XQ embroidery village to discover the culture of Vietnam, enjoy unique pieces of art and possibly have your own embroidered pictures.
- Address: No.80A, Mai Anh Đào Street, Ward 8, Da Lat City (Get there)
- Entrance fee:
- Free entrance for the 1st area (outside)
- The 2nd area (inside): 20.000 VND/person ($0.88). Visitors with guidance may range from 100.000 VND/person ($4.40) to 150.000 VND/person ($6.61)
- Opening time: 7 AM – 5 PM
Ankroet Lake (Golden Stream Lake)
Ankroet Lake is located at the foot of Lang Biang Mountain, 12 kilometers away from the center. Having existed for hundreds of years, the Lake is known as the largest freshwater lake in Da Lat, with a total area of 170 hectares, and used to be the main freshwater source of the entire City. From above, Ankroet Lake looks like a large silk ribbon meandering through the pine forest.
If you are a camper, do not forget to bring your own tent, heating bag, and coat. It is more convenient to book a trip straight to Ankroet Lake. However, if you want to discover one of the most attractive paths in the suburb of Da Lat yourself by motorbike, check out the route. The best time to visit Ankroet Lake is the dry season, from early November to March. This time of year is also the best for outside activities.
Dalat Flower Park
The park has a total flower growing area of up to 7000 square meters, with a variety of flowering plants, ranging from local to exotic species. This is surely the land where all the most beautiful flowers in Dalat gather, being well taken care of and meticulously displayed. You shall be surprised by the great and detailed displays they have created. Another spot you may not want to miss is the gorgeous orchid garden, which is planted by tissue culture techniques. For many years, this place has been chosen to set up The flower spring festival, attracting numerous tourists to come. Visiting Dalat flower park is one of the most recommended things to do in Dalat. Do not forget to have your camera ready while visiting here because you will not want to miss any beautiful corners.
A brief guide for this place:
- Address: Trần Quốc Toản Street, Ward 8, Da Lat city (Get there)
- Entrance fee:
- 50,000 VND/ticket for adults ($2.20)
- 25,000 VND/ticket for children (under 1.2 meters) ($1.10)
- Opening hour: 7 AM – 6 PM
Linh Quy Pháp Ấn Pagoda
Hidden on top of Đại Bình Mountain, Linh Quy Pháp Ấn Pagoda silently separates from a bustling city, covers itself with heavy clouds, and unveils a precious beauty just like a heaven gate.
The architecture of Linh Quy Pháp Ấn Pagoda was mixed between classic Vietnamese style and Japanese culture, which is simple while exquisite. It was not until 2017; a Vietnamese pop star – Sơn Tùng MTP had his music video shot here that the Pagoda became famous all over the country. Linh Quy Pháp Ấn has attracted thousands of visitors every year, especially youngsters.
How to get there: Linh Quy Pháp Ấn is located 21 kilometers to the South of Bảo Lộc, Lâm Đồng Province, around 121 kilometers away from Dalat’s center. It is more convenient for you to visit Linh Quy Pháp Ấn while coming back from Dalat to Ho Chi Minh City, following this route. The Pagoda opens for free entrance, just beware not to disturb monks.
Lumiere Light Garden
You will experience interactive lighting engagement in different rooms, such as Galaxy Room, Virtual Reality Room, Magical Space, The Light Maze. If you are already familiar with a traditional Dalat, Lumiere Light Garden will surprise you with contemporary architectural style and the most advanced technology. You might get lost in the world of sparkling light and colors. Get your camera ready and enjoy the fantastic lighting artworks at Lumiere Light Garden.
- Address: 222B Mai Anh Đào Street, Ward 8, Da Lat City (Get there)
- Entrance fee: 150,000 VND/ticket ($6.60)
- Opening hour: 9 AM – 9 PM
Discover Dalat Fairytale Land
As the name suggests, Dalat Fairytale Land is a theme park, inspired by the Hobbiton tours in New Zealand. The owner aims to share numerous stories of Dalat’s specialties through fairy tale themes. The Park offers a magical land for you to come back to your childhood, enjoy the mysterious stories and characters, temporarily break away from your usual life and have fun.
- Address: 1D Hoàng Văn Thụ Street, Ward 5, Da Lat City (Get there)
- Entrance fee: ~50,000 VND/ticket ($2.50)
- Opening hour: 7:30 AM – 5 PM
Visit the Puppy Farm
The puppies are well taken care of and trained to interact with visitors. The farm is also a café, you can enjoy a cup of coffee or hot tea while having fun with the puppies. Besides, you are welcome to flower farms around the café to visit and take photos. If you are a dog lover, do not forget to visit The Puppy Farm.
- Address: Cam Ly Street, Ward 7, Da Lat City (Get there)
- Entrance fee:
- For adults: 40,000 VND/ticket ($1.70)
- For children: 20,000 VND/ticket ($0.90)
- Opening hour:
- 8:30AM – 11:30AM and 1:30 PM – 4:30 PM
Explore Pongour Waterfall
Pongour Waterfall is a wild and spectacular landscape, located about 20 kilometers from the center of Đức Trọng District. This ecosystem attracts millions of tourists every year of all ages with its magnificent natural beauty and a wide range of ethnic activities.
Pongour is also the only waterfall having its own festival, which occurs on the 15th, January according to Lunar month.
How to get there:
- Take a bus from Dalat center at Phương Trang Bus Company (tel: 0263 358 5858) to Bảo Lộc District, then walk to the waterfall or rent a bike.
- Ride a bike from Dalat center straight to Pongour Waterfall. The trip is around 50 kilometers long, following the route.
Entrance fee: 20,000 VND/person ($0.9)
- Coffee house tour
Dalat has been famous for a wide range of coffee houses, from romance to rustic, from retro to contemporary, from traditional to modern, which can satisfy all the needs of customers.
Coffee shops are also good places to admire the Dalat view from above. Photo by Tiệm cafe phía tây mặt trời Facebook Page
After a long day visiting and exploring, you would love to stop by a beautiful coffee shop by the hill, have a drink, and enjoy Dalat nightlife. Otherwise, wake up in the morning, have your breakfast, then head to a retro coffee house to relax. Going out for coffee is an activity that can be fitted in all kinds of schedules. Here are some recommendations:
- Traditional style: “café Tùng”, 6 Hoà Bình Area, Ward 1, Da Lat City (Get there)
- Contemporary style: “Phía Tây Mặt Trời”, 12 Alley, Lê Văn Tám Street, Ward 10, Da Lat City (Get there)
- Rustic style: “Vườn Yên” (Yên Garden), 6 Alley, Mai Hắc Đế Street, Ward 6, Da Lat City (Get there)
Enjoy live music at The Escape Bar
The Escape Bar is a favored place for chilling, enjoying cocktails and live music. Located in the heart of Dalat, the bar has a cozy space and chic style of decoration. The band usually covers songs by Rolling Stones, Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, and Radiohead, dedicated to bringing you the best live music during your stay in the City. Cocktails’ prices are also affordable.
- Check out The Escape Bar at 94 Bùi Thị Xuân Street, Da Lat City (Get there)
- Opening hour: 2pm – 10:30pm
Being one of the most famous highlands in Vietnam, Dalat has plenty of camping sites which range from lake sites to forest sites, from private purposes to public campsites. If you are a nature lover, you will not want to pass by this activity, setting up your tent, kindling fire, having BBQ up on a hill, or beside a lake. The next morning, waiting for the Sun to rise and enjoy the very first sunlight of the day, break away from daily routines to fully reconnect to nature and your inner soul.
Perfect scenery in the early morning at a campsite. Photo by 1topho_1day Instagram Page
Below are some suggested agents you can book your camping tour:
Exploring local food
Blessed with cool weather, the meat, vegetables, and fruits are all fresh and delicious here. Check out some must-try dishes you will never forget.
- Bánh Mì Xíu Mại (Bánh Mì with meatball soup), a light meal for breakfast, from 20,000 VND (~$0.9). 47 Hoàng Diệu Street, Ward 5, Da Lat City (Get there)
- Bánh ướt lòng gà (Vietnamese steamed rice cake with boiled chicken), from 40,000 VND ($1.80). 28 Tăng Bạt Hổ Street, Ward 1, Da Lat City (Get there)
- Bánh căn (Dalat mini pancake topped with eggs and seafood), from 20,000 VND ($0.9). Bánh căn Nhà Chung: 1 Nhà Chung Street, Ward 3, Da Lat City (Get there)
- Bánh tráng nướng (Vietnamese pizza), from 15,000 VND ($0.7). Street food along Xuân Hương Lake or Dalat Night Market.
Hao Le for http://www.Local-Insider.com
Are you planning a trip to Vietnam ? We invite you to contact us at MustSeeInVietnam@Gmail.com and to visit the No 1 Vietnam Travellers Podcast website https://www.whataboutvietnam.com and http://www.Local-Insider.com
2 thoughts on “25 notable things to do in Dalat, Vietnam”
Great Article ! Thank you Must See in Vietnam